Tuesday, August 4, 2015

State of Matter
Aug 3 2015


The rain came down like ice picks.
As if hard enough to break skin,
and cold as the thin rarefied air
a mile up.
On a grey still day
of pelting rain
falling straight, and windless.

But under the surface
I felt protected, warm,
the summer heat
the lake still holds.
I slip beneath
and feel immune from the storm;
impervious skin, accustomed to wetness,
the body of water, a placid refuge
dense, and still.

Or resume my stroke
and feel the power of weather
the ocean of air.
Like a bracing spa;
from cold to hot,
chaotic, calm.

But even submerged
I hear the surface churn
the roiling fizz.
The quality of sound
in incompressible water
is almost material,
steady, substantial
an octave down.

And the lake, still as glass
but without the mirror shine.
As if the boundary line
between water and air
had dissolved.
A state of matter
that's indeterminate;
neither floating or falling,
solid, liquid, or gas.

Short sharp gasps
of atomized water, saturated air.
Making for land
I trust is there.



I love an open-water swim in the rain. In summer, when the lake is warm. I feel impervious in the downpour. The contrast between the chaos above and calm below is striking. I inhabit a water world, no matter what.

But this was no gentle rain. It was a hard cold pelting one: like needles, when my head came up for air. Still, there was the same sense of an indeterminate state, of a dissolution of boundaries, of a soft muddled monotony of light and sensation, of time suspended.

And the lake, fortunately, still retaining the heat of a few warm days: I mean it's Aug 3, and I'm still in a wetsuit?!!


No comments: