Sunday, August 2, 2015

Collecting Light
Aug 2 2015


Tonight was the night
I determined to count the stars.
But the longer I watched, they more they multiplied.
The darkness filled, and the weakest light
became more and more visible;
legion upon legion of stars
appearing in great promiscuous waves.
As if my eyes
were peeling back time,
telescoping deeper
into the cosmos.

Until I could no longer keep track.
So I simply lay on my back, looking up
at a sky dense with stars
awash in light;
as if infinity
were in my grasp.
When counting
no longer mattered
and I wondered how far I could go,
my dilating eyes
collecting the light
of falling stars, and satellites
and vast glowing nebulae.

In the clear crisp air
of a moonless night
the heavens were coldly ablaze.
And I was probing deeper and deeper,
riding the planet
hurtling through space.



There is something different about this poem. Maybe it’s the subject matter:  dangerously close to cliché; too damned easy and obvious. Or maybe my approach; which was just to say it, and not worry so much about compression, or artfulness, or misdirection. Or maybe it was that I didn’t work it so hard, didn’t endlessly revise, revisit, and revise: what you see is pretty much the first draft, with a few tweaks here and there.

 But whatever it is, it was satisfying to write, and seems to stand up well enough to the reading. I like the whimsy. I like the way it evokes the actual experience of taking in a starry night:  the way -- over time -- the sky rewards your patience, opening itself up like a revelation.


No comments: