Thursday, August 20, 2015

Hard Country
Aug 20 12015


The abandoned house,
broken windows
like blackened eyes.
Its out-buildings nearly collapsed;
log walls, angled this-way-and-that,
sagging roofs
like sway-backed horses.
Inside, it was dank and dark,
broken glass
clinked on the floors.

Emerging 
from the cool gloom of the forest
I was caught by surprise;
a sun-drenched clearing, hacked from the woods,
where homesteaders had tried
to start a life.

It was the stillness
that struck me most.
As if time moved more slowly here,
measured by seasons, and years.
Or had entirely stopped;
with everything left
just as it was,
as if they had only stepped out
for a moment or two
and would soon return.

This is hard country to farm.
Thin soil
with its crop of rocks, and broken dreams.
A late spring, and fickle summer
the comes with hail
its share of grief.
But now, it was flourishing;
waist-high weeds, seeding themselves,
wildflowers, arresting the eye
like unexpected gems.

Because nature inexorably reclaims.
Wood rots
land subsides
garden plants run wild.
Roots heave, and colonize.
And trees grow unstoppably,
pushing through roofs, toppling walls.
Even steel crumbles
brittle with rust.

I had taken a rough path
through the backwoods
and stumbled upon this accidental place,
only to find myself blind-sided
by such deep feeling.
Touched
by those long-ago-people
full of stoic hope,
by this frozen tableau
of neglect, and abandon.
And where I couldn’t help but think
how the footprint of man
is so evanescent,
despite our swagger, and pride.

I could easily imagine
the white walls
and bright red trim
before they faded and flaked.
The patch of grass
where children must once have played.

The border of marigolds
that someone tended so lovingly
when there was work to be done.
Before the wall of thorns, and tangled brush
ran rampant through the yard.



 I’m pretty sure I wrote about this before. (But it’s way back in the archives, and I haven’t bothered to check it out.) The dog and I were out for a hike, and ended up exploring this path.

Actually, things were not left as if they had just stepped out:  the house had been pretty much emptied. I found the little shed fascinating. It was chock-a-block with old newspapers and vintage magazines, which I spent too long thumbing through.  There was also some rusting machinery, abandoned furniture, broken farm implements. And overgrown weed-infested fields, of course.

What recalled this memory for me was reading a short essay about a trip to Angkor Wat, and the writer’s description of the trees growing amidst the buildings, the green jungle invading. She nicely evoked the choking fecundity and slowly crumbling structures in that hot humid place. She had me recalling this other place I had seen, where nature was also reclaiming from man. And as I recalled, I couldn’t help but think of the hard life they had led, the struggle eventually abandoned.

No comments: