Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Barking Dog
Aug 18 2015


There is always a barking dog
in street scenes
on camera.
Especially after dark;
a signal that this is authentic
with a measure of menace
stylish noir.

I know this
because my dog, sprawled asleep at my side as I watch
bolts
with every pan, zoom, dissolve
of hooker alley, or suburban lawn,
racing to the door
to defend our territory.

After all these years
she still doesn't get TV.
There is no place for art, allegory, impression
in the life of a dog.
She is all about present time.
Is acutely attuned to her kind.
Occupies either inside
or out;
because there is an order to the world
and it cannot vary.

She seems to derive great joy
from all the excitement.
And struts back in triumph, eyes bright, tail wagging
naturally expecting my thanks.
She has kept us safe, after all
the bad guys at bay.
While I feel guilty for waking her,
my trigger-finger
not fast enough to mute.
And feel annoyed
at foley artists who toy
with barking dogs,
don't trust the audience.

Fortunately, the dog never tires of this,
a modern-day Lassie
basking in gratitude
for saving Timmy from the well.
Then takes her well-earned rest,
monopolizing the couch
and returning to sleep, again.

To puppy dreams
of strangled barks, and running legs.
Her own cliff-hanger/who-dun-it, I'm sure,
in which the squirrel always gets caught
and dinner is continuously served.



She's actually a pretty useless watchdog; even though she thinks she's a big shot.

Frankly, I would have thought she'd have figured this out after all these years. A couple of times, she's even paused, nosing the speaker for a second before racing out. But the connection fails: if it's another dog, then it must be outside. It must be both comforting and useful to have the world so rigidly ordered, everything categorical. Sure, we're far more capable of imagination and plasticity of mind; but wouldn't it be a relief just keeping things simple like that, sometimes?!!

It's a silly poem, with a cheap ending. But since I only rarely indulge in a dog poem (I'd write a lot more, if I let myself!), any kind of silliness is allowed.

No comments: