Thursday, April 26, 2012


Search Engine
April 26 2012


My computer has a search engine.
This sleek machine
that connects me to the world
at the speed of light.
With soft mysterious whirrrs
and unaccountable bursts
of static purring,
its bright all-knowing glow.

Yet a name that evokes
Victorian factories.
Iron-works, and steam,
the hands-on ambition
of industry.
Who knew
computer guys
could be so tongue-in-cheek?

The delightful incongruity
of a search engine
on the digital freeway.
The rent and squeal
of steel-on-steel.
An iron behemoth, belching steam
cinders, soot
and grease,
hellish firebox
blistering heat.
Stoked with low grade coal
that turns everything
black.

My lap top is cool, clean, sleek.
As weightless electrons
do my bidding.
And the keyboard, willing
effects its silky
tap-tap-tap,
entrancing me
in a crisp blue glow.

So distant, detached
from the power-plants, and servers
vast optical-cables
that gird the earth.
Like Archimedes, given a long enough lever,
I feel as if I could move the world
with a single stroke.

No comments: