Sunday, April 8, 2012

For As Long As It Takes
April 7 2012


2 dogs
out for a walk
in the woods, off-leash, in spring.
They have anointed me leader,
the alpha male
in a pack of 3.

Which strikes me as odd,
deficient in tooth and claw
olfaction flawed,
my 2-legged walk
at best.

Their pathetic boss
who envies and admires them,
inhabiting the permanent present
with such eager intensity.
While I find myself lost
in time,
dissecting the past
and best-laid plans,
recrimination, regrets
what might happen next.

How sad is this?
The conscious effort
to drag myself back
from inside my head,
when I should focus, instead
on them.
Their athletic beauty
and utter absorption,
the pure life force
they express.
The simple privilege of their company,
on this rugged path
on the cusp of spring.

And their mute consent
to let me walk with them,
my fitness, unquestioned
authority 
uncontested.
Here, in dog heaven
on this glorious day.
An honorary citizen
for as long as it takes.


What was actually distracting me, pulling me into my head, was this poem; which started to write itself as we walked. I think we've all experienced something similar:  walking, or driving, on auto-pilot; not remembering how we ended up where we did.

A “meta” experience like this – much like the incessant picture-taking during significant events – is most unfortunate,  a fine illustration of just how hard it is for us to fully occupy the present. Of how we detach, analyze, anticipate; listen to the running commentary and play-by-play in our heads.

The dogs, of course, are utterly immune to such nonsense. Needless to say, I envy and admire them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

perhaps you should revise this poem
from a pack of three to a pack of four. i am a follower too.
great poem !
signed your anonymous fan