Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Balm
April 3 2012


I swim indoors
off-season.
Canned music
contained by concrete walls.
Kids, doing cannonballs
all kibitzing and caterwaul.
The sound, enclosed
is shrill, hard.
The light’s unnatural, but bright,
a tonic
in winter’s dark.
Well-used water
gives off
its chemical smell,
chlorine’s caustic whiff
whatever elixir
shocks it clear.

I dive head-first,
a frisson of cold
an effervescent burst.
The startling sharpness
until my goggles fog.
And the uncommon balm
of silence.
Just my heart
the pull of my arms
the surface, rhythmically breaking.
I am weightless here.
I disappear
from earth.

Which a lifeguard may notice
or not,
in her regulation singlet
flotation device
clenched tight to her chest,
as if protecting herself.
Who seems far too young
to save anyone.
To have already become
disappointed by life,
Olympic dreams
reduced to this.

Kids run on the deck
too pent-up
to resist.
She makes herself stern
tries sounding older
than she is.
So instead
they speed-walk, on tip-toe,
the letter of the law.

And she returns to watch
the grown-ups
steadily patrolling their lanes.
Swimming nowhere
back and forth
all day.

No comments: