Monday, December 26, 2011

Space-Age Material
Dec 5 2011


In the small vestibule,
where my breath condenses
in the frigid air,
and frost has formed
on the clear glass door
in curlicues
and lacy patterns.

Where the floor is strewn
with boots and toques
abandoned, scattered.
Mittens, mismatched
gloves, one-handed.

And where you can smell the cold
that swept-in, as I entered
like an arctic blizzard,
I stand
fingers numb,
can’t unlace, unzip
unbutton.
Congealed beard
dripping, running.

This small cubicle
my mother used to call
the decontamination chamber.
Enclosed, self-contained,
like a space station airlock
sealing-off
the frozen vacuum
from the warm bright interior.

So here I stand
waiting for the temperature to rise
pressures equalize,
eyelashes thaw, beard soften.
Waiting to regain
manual dexterity,
extricate myself
from these heavy protective layers
of space-age material.
And enter into a blast of heat,
dry winter air, the smell of cooking
that will not be vented
‘til spring.

I could see the place forever
walking home
along the bleak rural road,
the lighted window, plume of smoke.
A tiny outpost
in a vast and trackless space,
like a small star, in the distance.
Just one, of millions,
but growing bigger and bigger;
looming large
preparing to dock.

Unless my trajectory is off
just a bit
 — a near miss,
and I would go drifting on
into infinity.
A tiny astronaut, falling farther and farther,
oxygen, close to exhaustion
the cold
seeping in.
A frozen body
tumbling through the cosmos
non-stop.

A simple winter walk,
lost
until it thaws
next spring.

No comments: