Thursday, December 1, 2011

Hungry for Sleep
Nov 24 2011


I burrow into sheets
quilts, duvets, and fleece,
huddle underneath
heavy comforters;
a thin-skinned infant
clutched in fetal warmth.
But must eventually emerge
into the cold dark world
of morning.
Its leaden sky
gun-metal light,
wet snow
thin blanket of ice.

Hungry for sleep
craving sweets
my reserves are low.
Then after work
I again return
to dusk,
its sullen skies
and stingy light,
ruts of frozen snow.
Stumbling through days
in a sleepless haze
I am an automaton,
going through the motions.

While friends have returned
from getaways
red from tropical sun.
Who, for the rest of winter
will never adjust,
chill cutting right to the bone.

But still
I can’t help but imagine
hot dry sand,
underfoot
between my toes.
Even as I chose to stay
stoic, and staid.
Smug to have endured
adversity,
a snob of weather.

Including those postcard days
that have me wide awake
    the brilliant light
and cobalt sky,
the blinding white
of perfect virgin snow.
When a high pressure system
blasts its way in,
and sleep
can happily wait.

No comments: