Thursday, December 22, 2011

Inscribed in Stone
Dec 22 2011

“You shall not covet your neighbour’s house; you shall not covet your neighbour’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbour’s.”


The broken rule
lay shattered
where it had slipped from my grasp.
Rules are meant to be broken
I consoled myself.

The golden rule
we melted down for cash.
The fatted calf
my neighbour’s ass
I’d always secretly coveted.

The 10th commandment,
that banished even thoughts
of envy,
his wife, his ox
his anything.
The first thought crime
of an Orwellian God,
who is devoutly believed
omniscient.

I admit, I am flawed.
My mind
is a law unto itself
resists all jurisdiction.
And who among us
isn’t?

The game is fixed
the rules rigged.
The winners win,
the rich
get even richer.
Where they smugly sit
secure in the myth
of self-made men.

No comments: