Thursday, December 1, 2011

My One Great Adventure
Nov 24 2011


I find I am living in the future.
Not a grim green-house planet.
Not flying cars.
Not disembodied brains
floating under glass
on life support.
But when there is way more past
than looking forward.

Like a long road trip, unplanned,
that began
with bright-eyed hope
on a well-scrubbed morning
travelling light.
Plenty of time
to accumulate baggage.
Where I went without maps,
slept badly
in flea-bag motels,
depended
upon the kindness of strangers.

Towed, ticketed, and limping-in
out of gas
on thumping flats.
Exits missed
and hitch-hiker lifts
and stuck
in icy ditches.
The body dented and dusted and spattered with bugs,
rust
bubbling-up
just under the surface.

Until the novelty wears off.
The drudgery
of making time, and mileage.
The radio on
with the same sad songs
of love, and loss.
They come in strong, then fade as quickly,
passing in, and out, of range.

Because I was not Kerouac
or Hunter S. Thompson.
There were no gonzo riffs
psychedelic trips,
or even a hint
of excess.
Not at all
what I started out
expecting.

Because at the end of the road
the future is much like the past.
Except for new gadgets
to distract us;
and that all of a sudden
everyone
seems to have gotten that much younger.

Now the old car is grounded,
and I have settled down
with only minor regrets.
Not much left
of the stuff I once valued.
So I will leave
much as I came 
with a minimum of fuss
and baggage,
helpless
unselfconscious,
in a natural state of undress.

At best remembered
by the next generation
before the future completely forgets.
A journal, some photos
all that are left
of my one great adventure.

No comments: