Friday, July 1, 2011

Spending Lives
June 29 2011



What do you do
for a living
we ask,
shaking hands
making small talk.
Hoping to get the measure
of the man.
(Or woman, I hasten to add.)

Because you have to earn your living,
justify this life
keep busy.
Taking long walks,
having an inner life,
the dialogue, that goes on
when your eyes get that glazed distracted look
don’t count
in the arithmetic
of success.
Or status.

Say “housewife”, for example,
not only politically incorrect
but old-fashioned
patriarchal
oppressed.
Or “homemaker” instead.
Which sounds suitably industrious,
but could use a touch
more ambition.
“Mother”, though, is beyond admonition,
the Madonna
the giver of life.

So, what have I done
today?
I walked, I read, I wrote
performed the usual chores.
I enjoyed the company of my dog
who makes it her business
to play;
constantly busy,
and very good
at sleep.
I observed, and thought
about what I saw.
Which leaves me unsure
    is this a life
or a living?

We talk about spending our lives,
as if we started out with a given sum
and ended up
with nothing.
Funny, how it works
the other way ‘round
    the blank slate
on which we write ourselves,
until it’s filled
with dense illegible scrawl.
Too small
to contain everything.



There are revealing cultural differences in how we meet and greet. The Chinese ask:  “Have you eaten?” This is a culture that has known privation, a people who are aware of their history. Apparently, North American Indians ask “Where are you from, and who are your people?”  But we in the so-called West are modern, and believe in competition, individualism, and progress.  As if what you do is who you are. Anyway, that’s where this poem started.

No comments: