Wednesday, July 27, 2011









Graffiti
July 24 2011


Drawing outside the lines.
Which sounds bad
with crayon, and colouring book.
Not that I’m any good
when there are no lines,
confined to stick-figures, finger-paint
rollers, and spray cans.
A grown man
unable to draw.

But then I saw a picture
of Jackson Pollock.
He was standing, as if about to leap
    a greyhound
straining its leash.
With the canvas
stretched out at his feet,
he used both hands
attacking the thing   
slash/spatter/jab,
daub/drizzle/dab.
Until at last
he’d created a masterpiece.
He ignored
the ruled borders
of the formal frame,
painting most of the floor
in the total absorption
of art.
He defied the lines of convention,
would not be contained

I would never presume
to understand colour, space, shape
like Jackson Pollock.
And I’m far too bourgeois
to spill paint
on expensive hardwood.
But I do draw outside the lines.
In part because
I’ve always felt marginal 
out of sync
with the world,
out of time
with my contemporaries.
I am an anthropologist
from another planet,
nose pressed to the glass;
taking notes
shaking my head
with incredulity
and horror.

I’ve lived through much
of the 20th century,
said to have been
the most bloody on earth.
And now, in the 21st
things seem worse.
So I choose red.
The colour of war, and sex
the emergency exit
nailed shut.
With a heavy brush 
a blunt instrument, laid on thick,
as if I could paint away
my hopelessness
in broad impervious strokes.

We are all bad
at staying inside the lines 
ambition, and greed
overreach,
our hubris
is blinding.
And as for me
I’m still unable to draw.
So my stick figures
have become the alphabet,
my canvas
a blank white sheet.
I draw conclusions,
leave plenty of room
for readers
to colour-in their own.

Not fixed
to a gallery wall
I can go wherever you please,
memorized, plagiarized
recited.
So take your spray can
and take my words;
together, let us vandalize
the world.

No comments: