Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Lull
July 4 2011


After the storm
in the exhausted air
among the casualties
of torn leaves, and downed branches,
the burnt smell
of ozone
singes my nose.
And the subterranean rumble
of distant thunder
is more felt than heard,
entering my body
from where I stand
on immovable earth.

Summer storms
should be fast and furious,
then stop
as if a switch had been flipped.
Spent clouds,
a golden shaft of light
forcing them to part,
a rainbow, in evanescent mist
like an impressionist work of art.

But this feels like held breathe
like time, suspended,
waiting for the next
massive front.
All that energy
stored-up
in the ocean of air,
about to burst free
in lightning, hail, rain.
As if this flimsy roof
could shelter me
from nature’s strength.

I am a bottom-feeder
on the floor of this ocean of air.
An insignificant creature
waiting out the lull;
senses tense
on edge,
as the electricity builds
again.

No comments: