Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Student of Weather
June 27 2011


There is a heavy rainfall warning
in effect.
This is the weather office advisory
more shrill than watch.
Which seems rather pointless
watching out for bad weather
    it will come, regardless.
And either way, the roof will hold
the river rise
well below me.

But I am worse than the fool
who doesn’t know
to come in out of the rain,
and I go out
in this Biblical flood
this inundation.

Like a monsoon, the heavens have opened up.
The air so full, I am breathing water,
torrential drops
stripping leaves, bowing branches
hammering straight down.
Puddles quickly find each other
joining up,
until I’m standing ankle deep
in a broad flat lake,
soaked clothes
shrink-wrapped against me,
hair, streaming.

We have had hail, fire, wind,
so water is hardly threatening.
I can dare nature
without consequence,
here, on high ground
free to duck inside.

Or so I thought.
Because the road’s washed-out
power-lines toppled.
And I am a fool
cold, and sodden
standing in the hundred-year-flood,
head back, eyes shut
surrendering
to wetness.
Now, almost up to my knees
and rising.

So much water, in a world
that is full of drought.
That will run down to the sea
eventually,
leaving it green, overrun with weeds.
The steeper slopes rutted
with dried-out streams.
Exposed rocks
like bones, picked-clean.

So I’ve learned to keep watch
    the sky
the far horizon.
Because weather never stops.
Warned,
or not.


My apologies to the fine novelist Elizabeth Hay, for stealing her title. She is an exquisite writer. So please regard this as a kind of homage …not plagiarism!

It sounded familiar, so I googled it. Just as I thought …but too good to change. My alternative was In, Out of the Rain. Which is OK …but just OK.

No comments: