Friday, July 22, 2011

Copy This Poem
Steal This Book*
July 21 2011


At the end of 7 years
every cell in my body
will have replaced itself.
So in a lifetime
I will die
10 times over,
and as many times
be reborn.

The simplest definition of life
is a germ of information,
able to protect itself
pass itself on.
All the complications of life
reduced
to reproduction
survival.
Like the common cold;
a strand of RNA, inviolable
in its simple protein coat.
So is a computer virus
alive?
And are we the monster
or Dr. Frankenstein?

And does consciousness arise
by accident
or is it inevitable,
given liquid water
a magnetic field
a reliable star?
As if sentient self-aware creatures
were pre-ordained
once life gets its start.
And are we privileged, more deserving
do we bask in the eye of God?
Or simply think
far too hard?

Errors accumulate
information degrades,
chemical bonds
eventually fray.
Either way, I will leave no children
behind.
The end of the line,
after millions of years
of survival.
So, have I betrayed my forbears?
Or saved myself
in words?
Information
in the form of a poem
some day overheard
recited
learned.

Because to be plagiarized
is a kind of immortality.
So let me be cribbed, infringed, pinched
lifted, pilfered, filched.
Or will I become unrecognizable,
garbled, hacked, disturbed?
Faithfully memorized,
or consigned to the trash
and burned?


*(My apologies to Abbie Hoffman for the title. Then again, I guess he could hardly complain when someone nicks a title like that!)
           


A rare philosophical poem – the sort of poem about which I’m not terribly enthusiastic. Because they can easily become pretentious, hard to read, no fun. So I’m pleased with this one. I touch briefly on a lot of very complicated and challenging ideas; but the poem moves along, it doesn’t become impersonal or academic, and there is some entertaining word play.

You can always tell at a glance it’s that sort of poem:  just by scanning it, and seeing all those question marks!

After all the metaphysics and big questions – the nature of life, and its likelihood; the singularity of consciousness; the conceit of human exceptionalism – the poem can be distilled down to an exploration of the artistic impulse:  are we fundamentally motivated by the desire to create something that will outlive us? Is art a hopeful – if delusional – means to immortality, to posterity? (Certainly not prosperity!) If all we are is information – an intact reproducible code – then perhaps this container of meat is superfluous, after all.

On the other hand, I am reminded of Woody Allen’s famous pronouncement:  “I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve it by not dying”!

No comments: