Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Too Many Funerals
June 19 2011


My mother answers.
Only when she’s out, when he’s left alone
does he pick up.

And it’s her voice, as well
on the answering machine.
Dead air, at first;
as usual, confused
by technology.
Then enunciates extra-carefully
into the electronic void.
Thinner, with age,
her disembodied words
sound unnaturally bright, and chirpy.

My mother answers
and does most of the talking.
His intermediary,
his social convener
his lifeline
to the outside world.

But on the 3rd Sunday in June
there is the obligatory call.
The ritual exchange of pleasantries
bland inquiries,
diverting handily
into politics, and sports.
We are each happy, well,
no problems
to speak of.

The word love
does not come up,
and we are both comfortable with this.
He was a good provider
and I, a dutiful son,
and this is more than enough.

My mother takes the phone
so happy I called,
and now all of the brothers
have remembered
wished him the best.
As if anyone could forget
in the tempest of ads
for aftershave, golf.

My father told me
tomorrow he attends the funeral
of a friend, his age, who finally passed.
A mercy, he says.
In a man’s 90th year
there are too many funerals.
And who makes new friends
at this late stage?

He has outlived everyone.
He has run out of friends
in his adoptive city,
and no one is left
in the city he grew up.
“But I have your mother” he says
before the phone
is handed off.
He is stoical
as men of his generation were taught
and he taught us.
Not one to complain
about the infirmities, indignities
of age.

The phone lines are humming
the 1st Sunday, of summer
from daughters, and sons.
Although Mother’s Day
is busier.
Which a father understands.
And would be just as glad
if his day of thanks
was hers


When I called this Father's Day, this is close to what my dad actually said to me:  "I've run out of friends", or "All my friends are gone", or something like that.

He is the last survivor of his immediate family:  the youngest child, who has lived the longest. We easily think about the importance of friendship in school age kids, in adolescents and young adults. But close friends are probably more important as we age and our world shrinks. In this case, of course, it's not simply a loss of companionship, but a very real and poignant reminder of imminent mortality.

Anyway, when he said this, his sadness showed through his manly stoicism. I thought I should honour it with a poem.

No comments: