Friday, June 10, 2011

Unmade Bed
June 6 2011


The unmade bed
is at rest
in its quiet curtained chamber,
untended
undisturbed.
It passes the day
exactly as it was left  
the mattress, sagging
covers, tossed back
a flattened feather pillow.

Gives up its heat, and remains
in the catatonic state
of a hibernating creature,
torpid, cooling.
Patiently waiting
to embrace its nightly guest.

There is a story, here,
in the dent from a head
the linen, a mess
some orphaned strands of hair.
In the body’s earthy presence,
where naked skin
left its dark impression
on freshly pressed sheets.

She paid attention
to thread count, colour,
the heirloom comforter
she lovingly pats down.
Pillows
placed, tactically
as if casually tossed.
Invisible corners
precisely tucked.

But I read somewhere
that the unmade bed is healthier,
resisting the stealthy advance of mould
and who-knows-what contagion,
airing out the moisture
that accumulates
from a living body
under warm occlusive covers.

Or from two
entwined with each other
in the dulled consciousness of sleep,
moving in concert, like call and response
almost as one.
Or breathing hard,
hungry for touch
all hands and tongue.

But I sleep alone.
And the bed
is a battleground,
of startled awakenings
and deeply drugged sleep,
of tossing and turning
in delirious dreams.
Pyjamas, soaked in sweat.
My unrequited body
hot, and wet.

Mornings are hard.
I awaken grudgingly
roll over, reluctantly
hit the floor with a thud,
sit slumped
on the soft compliant edge,
attempting to gather myself.

And in my rush, the bed goes untended.
Where it waits
patient, unmade,
unperturbed
by my absence, ingratitude.
Sure I’ll be back;
as I have
every night
so far.

No comments: