Tuesday, March 29, 2011


Inner Life
Mar 27 2011


99% of life
is showing up.
You can be a boring witless schlub,
just get there on time
and dress appropriately.

It’s this kind of loyalty
that gets their respect.
Especially when there’s heavy lifting
in-laws
or lots of paper work.
Marriage often goes like this,
your eye can wander
so long as the rest of you
stays put.
And on the job
look busy
and they’ll think you’re indispensable.

Except, one day, I left,
the kettle on
bills unpaid
a sink of dirty dishes.
I wonder if I’m missed;
or if I’d become invisible, over-exposed,
too familiar to notice.

Where does one go
on such an impetuous whim?
Out, into the world
or in?
A sheet of paper
thin, unwritten
infinitesimally folded?
Or a puff of smoke,
diffusing in air
until its molecules are found
everywhere on earth?

By now
the kettle’s boiled dry
the bills forgiven
the dishes done.
And my place has surely been filled
since I’ve been gone.

99%
is showing up.
And one-in-a-hundred
abscond.

No comments: