Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Witching Water
 Apr 3 2011


The well is slow to fill.
The water is hard,
and dark
with flecks of rock.
And pure enough to drink,
leaning over the sink
gasping with cold.

Like a mountain stream,
where dappled fish jump
never to be seen.
Except this water comes
from a steel pipe
bored straight into the earth,
down through broken strata
and fractured rock
into lifeless dark.
Where hard flat water, dense with cold
seems that much heavier
than the frothy surface.

Drilled blind,
where the water-witch
felt his willow wand tug,
his turgid body
amplifying signals,
quivering hands
helpless to resist.
The attraction of man and water
of like to like,
as iron filings
align with the poles,
the planet’s molten core.

I learn to use it sparingly,
the forced scarcity of a precarious well
that takes its time
recharging.

So by how much did we miss
the raging underground river
I’m certain exists
somewhere under our feet?
Limitless water
I could easily squander
conscience-free.

And when I finish
it flows downhill
into the land-locked lake
then subterranean,
through unmapped fissures, and cracks in the clay
where it seeks its level
again.
A closed loop
connected through me,
passing it on.

I am 89% water,
a transient vessel.
And like my well
slow to recharge.



An actual autobiographical poem; or at least a memoir of a balky well. Which I’m pretty much stuck with, since it would take tens of thousands of bucks to drill another; and even then, there’s no guarantee we’ll hit that mythical “raging river”.  

We’re urged to conserve water. Yet drawing from this well, and living on this lake, I know I can in good conscience use as much water as I like. The only constraint in terms of the environment is the electricity used to power the pump (which I imagine is really quite negligible.) So it’s an oppressive irony that I find myself unable to drown in these hypothetical riches.

But more than this, what I think this poem really gets at is our oneness with nature. ( I hate that sentence, it’s such a cliché. On the other hand, it says what it says, which is pretty much what  I mean. If this was part of the poem and not an explanatory note, I’m sure I would have done a lot better than “oneness with nature”!)  The water that constitutes our bodies; the air we breathe in and out of every cell:  these tie us inextricably in to nature, of which the hydrological cycle is both a great example and a great metaphor.  Except that “hydrological cycle” isn’t at all poetic! So that was the challenge of this poem:  to express this idea without getting didactic or technical.

(Although the iron filings thing might be a bit cryptic. The science here is that the earth has a core of iron. The fact that it’s molten and therefore in motion is what creates the magnetic field. Iron-to-iron. A damned important thing, this magnetic field, since without its ability to deflect cosmic radiation, life on earth would be impossible.)

No comments: