Thursday, June 6, 2024

My Late Lamented Youth - June 4 2024

 

My Late Lamented Youth

June 4 2024


Neatness counts.

Attendance will be taken.

No horseplay allowed.


When you stand, don't slouch;

Stomach in

chin up

shoulders back.


But for now, sit quietly;

no fidgeting

eyes front.


I was a compliant child.

Polite

good marks

on time.

I feared

the “permanent record”

that would follow me through life,

craved approval

while hated standing out.


My friends were also good kids

who deferred to authority.

Didn’t let drugs or sex

corrupt us,

rock and roll

lead us to depravIty.


So if I said I regret

my wasted youth

will you even understand?


Back when we knew we’d live forever

so weren’t in any rush.

Back when we knew all we needed to know.

Back when the straight and narrow path

seemed more than enough.


Because the world was just.


Because we were destined for greatness,

and best laid plans

never fail.


Because good things come

to those who wait.


No comments: