Thursday, February 22, 2024

Dead Poets - Feb 18 2024


Dead Poets

Feb 18 2024


I just read this:

Plato denounced poetry for its falsehoods

and banned poets from the ideal society.


I wonder what was said

by some ancient Greek poet said

to offend the great man.

I suppose he was a literalist;

allegory

went over his head,

metaphor

was wasted on him.


Nevertheless, I feel a flush of pride

to be labelled a subversive.

To be on the outside

looking in.

To use my words

instead of my fists.


Of course, so few bother with poetry

Plato got his wish.

Just lucky for him

there were no novelists back then

no internet.

That even the written word

was rare.


But how my silly scribbles

about missed buses

sleeping dogs

and a walk in the woods

would merit expulsion

is beyond me.


Bad enough

they still want to censor, ban, suppress.

Keep the reading to shopping lists

and ads for shoes.

But not send us into exile,

curse our progeny,

burn

our thin volumes of verse.

At least not yet.


Instead, they just don't read.

Or humour us

with a brief recitation

at weddings and funerals

and the odd circumcision.


As well as compulsory education

that's closer to surgery

than pleasure.

A forensic autopsy

that dismembers a poem

line by line,

turning bored students

into cynical Platonists,

who would rather live in a cave

than read the dead poets

let alone a living one.


No comments: