Tuesday, February 13, 2024

DIsembodied - Feb 12 2024

 

Disembodied

Feb 12 2024



You hear the voice over the radio

and imagine a face.

Something to match

his gravelly manliness

crisp authority,

her girl-next-door

with a hint of a lisp

and low intimate pitch.


They always said

radio has the best pictures;

the theatre of the mind,

the imagining

that can't be helped.


But don't meet your heroes, they also say,

you’ll end up disillusioned.


I listened to her

in bed

fighting off sleep,

like a kid

who wants another story

before lights out

and the goodnight kiss.

Just me and her

in the dark

night after night,

her dulcet tones

whispering into my ear;

tucking me in

like a warm weighted blanket

on a cold winter night.


Not the girl-next-door,

but a femme fatale

toying with me

in that low smouldering voice

with its sure self-possession

coy intimation of sex.


I hope we never meet.

Except here

disembodied

listening in the dark.

No talking back,

no plans,

no rush;

just the face I imagine

floating above me

mouthing words that don't really matter

in a beautiful voice

only I can hear.


No comments: