Saturday, February 10, 2024

Persona - Feb 8 2024

 

Persona

Feb 8 2024


I was hooked

the first time in front of a crowd

getting laughs.

I'm still shy

and keep my guard up

looking out for my kryptonite.

But the me behind the microphone

is protected

in that metamorphic circle of light,

like a superhero

all armoured-up

in flowing cape and tights.


So I am the alter ego

the one who wears the disguise;

the real me

only comes into being

when there's an audience there to see.

I come alive

when it's anything for a laugh.


But either way, performative.

Which is why

when I'm alone

I feel I've disappeared.

And alone with you

the jokes fail

the patter is lame

I can think only of escape.

With no audience there

I deflate

like the Invisible Man;

a pile of clothes

and the lingering scent

of flop-sweat and stress

all that's left of me.


The wise-cracking persona

who's full of life

they fall in love with.

And the man who's bad at love

stumbling over his tongue.


Who's full of awkward silences

and tends to say the wrong thing.

Who gets in his head,

misses what you said,

misconstrues what you meant.


Who's sneaking desperate looks

while seeming to listen,

searching for the phone booth

they long ago removed.


I heard an interview with the stand-up comic Moshe Kasher, who described the intoxicating feeling of being up in front of a crowd getting laughs. Which resonated a little with me, because I'm better in groups than one-on-one. And always trying to get laughs, as if being funny (which I’m not sure I even am!) is my secret super-power. But most of, how I feel I've been performing all my life: someone on the spectrum working hard and doing his best to pass for normal.

No comments: