Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Wintry Mix - Dec 5 2023

 

Wintry Mix

Dec 5 2023


Hovering

all day

between snow and rain.


On the grass, a thin cover of white,

while the pavement stays clear

glistening wetly.


Heavy snow

melting as I hold it.

The tipping point

where matter changes state,

and with the slightest nudge

could go either way.


Which is how I feel as well.

Unsure,

on edge,

on the cusp;

teeter-tottering

from one state to another.


For days

nothing changes

and there's no sense of finality;

neither cold or warm

dry or wet.

Which perfectly matches my mood;

stuck

in this state of drift,

where even what looks like change

doesn't stick.


Mild as it is

this wet cold

cuts to the bone,

the dull sky

feels claustrophobic.

Added to the misery

are two wet feet,

my winter boots

soaking through

as I cross the grassy field.

At least it's perfect packing snow

and I can't resist,

remembering how it felt

when we were kids.


But even the snowball

doesn't last for long,

and I’m left

standing empty-handed

in a vacant field.

Like a wet sponge, wrung out;

cold melt,

soaking my glove

and dripping through my fingers.


No comments: