Friday, January 21, 2022

Tempting Fate - Jan 8 2022

 

Tempting Fate

Jan 8 2022


I walked around the ladder.


Yes, it felt foolish

but something compelled me to do it,

a man

who prizes rationality

giving in to superstition.


Even though there was snow and ice around it,

a clear path

beneath its sturdy aluminum "V".

So when I slipped and fell

it must have been the broken mirror

that did me in,

explained the rational man

who is brilliant at rationalizing;

and how much worse would it have been

had I'd added to my own bad luck

by ducking under

and tempting fate?


Pascal's wager

is to acknowledge God

no matter how unlikely He exists;

good odds

when nothing's lost

and everyone wins.

So by extension

what harm could there be

in giving a ladder a miss?


The cast comes off

in 4 weeks;

I'm told the wrist will heal.


Could there be anything more human than superstition? Even Vulcans like me find we frequently have to actively resist it.

True story. That ladder was there for over a week, and the whole time it just felt better to give it a pass. Even though the clear path was straight through. (I know what you're thinking. But it was supporting some critical scaffolding, so I was reluctant to move it.)


No comments: