Thursday, January 27, 2022

Fire and Earth - Jan 22 2022

 

Fire and Earth

Jan 22 2022






I don't know the difference

between stoneware, porcelain, pottery.

This I leave to the artisans,

with their hands in clay

and heads bent over the wheel.


Anyway, my preferred word is earthenware.


Its muted colours

organic shapes.


Its reassuring weight

and thick substantial handle.


Its roughly textured surface,

as compelling to the eye

as it is to the touch.


I cup it firmly

in two steady hands,

run my fingers

over its hard impervious glaze.

But never glossy

only eggshell and matte.


Hand thrown, and one-of-a-kind.

I cradle the mug

of hot black coffee

in two cold hands.

It grounds me

imparts a feeling of calm.

I bring it close to my face,

inhaling the earthy scent

of dark chocolate

bright citrus

roasted nuts.


The provenance

of found materials

dug from the ground.

Human ingenuity,

and the ancient art

of fire and earth.


And perfectly suited to its use;

nothing more, nothing less.

An everyday object

with the permanence of clay

and the timeless beauty

of something simple, and unadorned.


An empty vessel,

unembellished

and true to itself.


There was a feature on contemporary Canadian design in this weekend's Globe. One category was housewares, and the pictures I've reproduced here really caught my eye. This is the work of Dawn Middleton, whose studio is located in Picton On, and called The YE11OW Studio.

I love the rich but subdued finish of these objects. And I dislike ornamentation and embellishment. Rather I like simple design with clean uncluttered lines. There is also something about clay that appeals: its earthiness, as well its long and enduring history in human civilization.


No comments: