Saturday, December 21, 2019


Flock
Dec 21 2019


The sky was dark with birds.
Sleek black darts
that wheeled and turned,
flashing through the air
with breath-taking speed
magnificent grace.

As if each were a cell
in a single animal
whose sum exceeds its parts.

Until a bird of prey
scatters them
and they frantically sling-shot apart.

No longer weightless
I can see their hard-working wings
the thinness of air,
a flicker
of indecision
fleet as it is.

How unforgiving
a single bird.

More than the stillness
of the clear blue sky,
it's the quiet
that leaves me unnerved.






This picture accompanied a piece in today's New Yorker website. It's not the ideal picture to demonstrate the flocking of birds. But as soon as I saw it, this poem started to write itself. So I'm including it here not to illustrate or reinforce the poem, but simply to give some insight into my creative process.


No comments: