Tuesday, December 31, 2019


Calendar
Dec 30 2019


My real estate agent
sent me a calendar and card
in an elegantly lettered envelope.
As he has reliably done
for the past 25 years
since he sold me this house.

Apparently, he is a patient man,
content to enter
his second quarter century
waiting for me to move out.
And old-school, as well;
a paper calendar
postal mail.

It's a handy size
with a magnet on the back.
So I attach it to the fridge door
where it best catches the eye,
confronting me
with the passage of time
whenever I reach for a snack.
The stock pictures
of baby animals
and natural vistas,
the glossy pages
I one-by-one tear off.
300 months, so far
and counting.

A long time
to have remained fixed.
All my things
in their familiar places
if a little worse for wear,
the genteel shabbiness
of a contented man
who tends toward complacency.
And the concrete foundation
that has nicely settled in
to this shallow sandy earth,
the thin soil
where little grows
but black spruce flourishes.

How persistent we are, how steadfast.
The real estate agent
who isn't “mine” at all.
I, a model of stability
but perhaps more stuck than stable.
And those sparse and witchy trees
whose tenacity and hardiness
I can't help but admire.

Yes, the house could use a coat of paint
the roof a few new shingles.
As I, too
have gotten thinner on top.
While what were saplings, once
now crowd against the sun,
and the older trees
rot from inside out.

But the same picture
of a square-jawed young man
has appeared on each calendar
year after year;
frozen
on a disposable document
that is all about transience
and keeping track.

The inexorable passage of time,
only he
has somehow contrived to evade.



Actually, it's a husband and wife team: Glen and Carmen Kannegiesser. As the name suggests, he's of Finnish stock, and very much does have the square-jawed handsomeness of his people. But the picture has never changed; and even though it hardly feels it, it actually has been 25 years since I last saw him: surely, the passage of time must show in his face as much as it does in mine.

I value loyalty, admire persistence, and commend entrepreneurialism. And I am very much a creature of habit who resists change. So if I ever were to move (however the prospect of moving offends my essential nature!) I'd probably give him a call. Because there is something reassuring about this calendar, reliably arriving each year during the holiday season. In a world of vertiginous and alarming change, a grounding ritual – even one so minor – is welcome.

It's all about the appeal to me of stability: the ritual of the calendar, the changeless picture. Along with the presumption of our ongoing relationship as client and agent; caught just as it was, in the amber of a quarter century.

No comments: