Sunday, April 23, 2017


Winter Dogs
April 22 2017



A line of cedars
facing north.
Where, in a nascent spring
at the foot of the trees
a bank of snow persists.

A remnant of winter,
radiating cold
as I approach.

And like ticking-off a calendar
it tracks the sun's ascent,
edge receding
as the shadow steadily shrinks.
The succession of seasons
in a strip of shade
that will thin, day-by-day;
until the very first of summer,
when it reverses abruptly 
and the countdown to winter begins.

A pool of melt
where the dogs sluggishly step,
pink tongues
lapping glacial liquid
with slow deliberate flicks.
Eyes staring
as if mesmerized by drink
in this unaccustomed heat,
never questioning
the presence of water
the changing of season
the unfamiliar warmth.

The soiled snow
where the dogs contentedly sprawl
is concentrated by thaw,
has lost its pristine whiteness.
Gone, soon enough,
when the dogs will seek out the same sliver of shade
in the lee of the cedars
in a feverish spring;
and I can only wonder
if they know summer is coming
remember the season that was.

Sleeping dogs, in their winter coats
lying in the shade,
tongues lolling, sides heaving
eyes quivering beneath their lids.
Emitting high-pitched yelps
as they dream of beds of snow.



My kitchen window faces roughly southeast. On the far side of the driveway, a line of cedars stand like sentinels, in a gently curving arc. So I look out on the side protected from sun, where a bank of snow persists: a combination of the shade, and the accumulation from a winter of snow-blowing.

Toward my vantage point, there is a depression where the melt pools. The dogs, sensibly enough, sprawl full-length in the snow in the unaccustomed heat, and saunter up to the water as if it had always been there, and was naturally intended for them. They're Labradors – the quintessential Canadian dog! -- and do wonderfully in the coldest winter. The change of season is hard on them, and summer a trial without someplace to swim and reliable shade.

So I've ended up writing both a weather/seasonal poem and a dog poem all at once: two tropes I assiduously try to avoid, since I think I've already done both to death. But sometimes a poem comes, and my job becomes one of simply taking dictation. I needed to write; and this is what came to me, looking out my kitchen window on an unseasonably temperate day in a late spring that has whipsawed between warm and cold.

No comments: