Sunday, April 30, 2017


Open Water
April 25 2017


The first canoe
was on the lake
before the ice was out.

But until the boat cleared the point
I couldn't be sure
those were voices I heard,
chitchatting
so unnaturally loud,
broadcast
from who-knows-where.

How sound carries
on open water.
Where the ice
wind-driven, and dull with slush
was nicely off shore.

I was shocked
by its glossy paint,
fire-engine red
against the water's grey chop,
the drab tufts of grass
and low leafless shrubs,
the dark jumble of rocks
half-submerged.
3 brightly dressed bodies, in a tippy boat,
its gunwales barely clearing
the lethal cold.

How hungry we must be
for sun, and open water
after winter's long hard slog.
Like starving prisoners
stumbling from our frigid cells
into unaccustomed light,
blinking, and rubbing our eyes.

They paddled lazily
zig-zagging along the shore,
not fishing
or racing
or out to explore;
a convivial boat ride
on the first warm day.

As if oblivious
to instant death
mere inches away.




It had been forever since we'd been down to the beach. (I use “beach” in its broadest sense. If you're picturing a manicured spread of tropical sand, think again!) I wanted to see how the break-up was coming along, and if there was enough open water for the dogs to swim.

Could those be voices? Could they be coming from the woods, across the narrows? No, it couldn't be: was someone actually out canoeing, in this lethally cold water? I looked hard, before I saw them, appearing from just behind the point and heading this way.

I would never be out in a boat, this time of year. My reaction was admiration and envy, mixed with pity at doing something so dangerously naive.

Now a few comments about some of the choices I made.

I was very surprised to find myself writing “nicely out from shore”. I've always regarded “nice” as a weasel word: too wishy-washy for poetry. And then to use the adverb – my least favourite part of speech -- no less! But something about it works here. Perhaps this is nothing more than the simple resonance between “ice” and “nicely”. Or maybe it's the implication that the open water was just inviting enough.

Gunwales” can also be “gunnels”. But I prefer the traditional nautical spelling. Which is OK, as long as this isn't an unfamiliar spelling that the reader then sounds out literally.

I'm pleased with “fire engine red”. It not only captures the startling contrast in colour, it conveys a sense of emergency: a telling bit of foreshadowing that makes sense with the final stanza.

No comments: