Sunday, April 30, 2017

Broken Wing
April 27 2017


Cradled in my hands
the injured bird went still.

The antelope comes to mind,
taken by a pride
when the fight goes out of him.
A lioness
crushing his neck,
teeth tearing
at living flesh,
his disembowelled entrails.
As he lies, unresisting
unblinking eyes glazed.

Do we all surrender, in the end
detach from pain?
So it's fight or flight
then giving in.
But how this came about
by evolution
makes no sense,
except to imagine
that nature has no use
for suffering without purpose,
that even in death
the universe is merciful.
A consoling truth
for those who believe in a higher power;
but for me
one more of life's great mysteries
I cannot explain.

The give and take
of finely-tuned touch, unconscious muscle
as I loosely cup the bird,
adjusting to its trifling mass
and sudden stirrings;
the fluttering of its tiny heart,
the unnerving lightness
of airy feathers
hollow bones.
Neither crushing
nor letting go.

A broken wing might heal
if it isn't killed by fright.
Or the shock
of a wild thing caged.

Would I choose death
over confinement?
                             Will this bird, biding its time
muster the will,
gathering strength
to fly again?



I've probably been watching too many nature documentaries. But this recurring image is really quite striking: the prey animal, lying calmly, as it's being eaten alive. We identify with the victim, and there is a consolation is seeing that it appears, however incredibly, not to suffer. But the biologist in me can't understand this. Because evolution operates by survival and reproduction: yes, playing dead might in very rare cases help an animal survive; but vastly more often, a prey animal is certain to die, so those genes that confer this singular mercy will be lost, not inherited. How, then, could this great rush of terminal endorphins ever be selected for?

No, I didn't rescue an injured bird. And have never held a living bird in my hands, But I have picked up a dead bird (who had flown into the picture window) and felt the surprising lightness. This poem started with a vague image of a bird in the hand that was used as a metaphor in something I recently read. The source has completely escaped my mind. But I think the author talked about the hands' precisely calibrated balance of pressure and touch, and this somehow stuck with me. Was he writing about a movie director managing his temperamental stars? A coach in professional sports massaging egos? Whatever it was, it was clearly a very effective metaphor!

No comments: