Monday, June 29, 2015

Brickwork
June 29 2015


The brick is hot to the touch.
In the cool of dusk,
as cool air hugs the ground
and shadows fall,
I bathe in its latent heat,
radiating freely
out into space.

Like a warm body
its closeness comforts me.
I am a contented cat
stretching-out in a patch of sun,
eyes, drifting shut
hypnotically flushed
with heat.

I love the warmth of brick; 
basic red
with a brush of rose, a touch of pink.
Common brick, made of local mud
dug up
from vestigial rivers
exhausted lakes.
The particularity of clay,
as easily traced
as a fingerprint.

I built a hearth from salvaged brick.
An earthy red,
softened by weather
showing its age.
Each, a roughly different shade,
so taken together
the colour is warm, and rich
and restful.
It's a substantial structure,
anchoring the room
with its settled weight.

But the lines are far from straight.
My corners, hardly plumb,
the mortar
a little crumbly.
Because brickwork
is not factory-made;
it reveals the hand of its maker,
the pedigree
of clay.

My red brick fireplace,
warming the house
all night long.
Like the exterior walls
it heats and cools
expands, contracts,
as if slowly breathing
in and out.
Yet steady as rock;
the heaviness of brick
that grounds the house
and anchors the hearth.

And the permanence
of native earth.
The common clay
from which man was made,
formed, and fired
and cemented in place.






As with all things, I didn’t build it myself. But around a woodstove in my basement den, I had it built:  an imposing hearth, made of red recycled brick.

In the poem, I wanted to convey the warmth, the permanence, and the earthiness of brick. There are the obvious references to home and hearth. But there is also this idea of “terroir”. Because brick is too heavy to haul long distances; it’s only practical to use local stuff. So brick is grounding in so many ways:  the feeling of comfort; the steadying weight; its essential connection to the ground itself.

One way I get at this quality is personification:  it’s a warm body, it has fingerprints, it seems to breathe. And in the end, there is the Biblical conflation of man and clay.

And aside from psychological and aesthetic warmth, there is the physical heat of brick. Which is where the poem begins:  standing by a warm wall in the chill of quickly falling dusk.


No comments: