Tuesday, June 9, 2015

All-Day Breakfast
June 8 2015


All-day breakfast
comes with a bottomless cup
and a waitress in comfortable shoes.

No wobbly heels
or low-cut dress.
No neutral "server"
drained of sex.
Because breakfast is never
served by men.

But by mothers,
who drag themselves up
when nothing stirs
and morning is murky as dusk.
When the kitchen light
is a yellowish blur,
and the house is at peace
and the time is hers.

When her housecoat was frumpy
and she was bored by the drudgery
but still took care,
no matter how thankless
or undeserved.
A woman's work,
that never seems to be done
or earn what it's worth.

The waitress cracks wise
and the grill men curse,
while the bacon fries
and the toast is burnt.
And the smell of coffee
like she used to perk
perfumes the steamy air.

I hate getting up before noon.
So all-day breakfast
is comfort food,
warming the soul
in a greasy spoon,
feeling like home
in an old-fashioned diner
where the waitress calls me “dear”.
Breakfast served
in the dregs of the night
every day of the year.



I was quickly glancing over a publisher's ad in the book section. One title caught my eye: All-Day Breakfast. Three words that evoke instant comfort! So I ran with it. But as soon as I found myself writing "waitress", I realized that this is no longer the politically correct term. Yet I can't picture an old-fashioned diner or a greasy spoon serving all-day breakfast without also picturing the traditional waitress: maternal, capable, and able to put everyone at ease. And so the poem found its direction. And also allowed me to redeem my political incorrectness, in these 3 lines: A woman's work,/ that never seems to be done/ or earn what it's worth. Phew!!

I suppose this might have gone easier with a rhyming dictionary. But once I got started having fun with "serve", it didn't matter: I suspect I exhausted just about every conceivable rhyme! The art, of course, isn't demonstrating one's ear for language; it's in making the word-choice seem the most natural thing in the world. The last thing you want -- unless you're being ironic, or self-consciously playful -- is to have a word sound shoe-horned in, a sentence contorted for the sake of rhyme. (Although I’m pretty sure I went a little overboard here, and it does sound like showing-off!)

No comments: