Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Portal
Nov 23 2011


In the strip mall
where my hair gets cut
the vacant storefront
has finally been filled.
But I’m sure another plate glass window
will soon go dark
papered shut,
so these cheek-by-jowl shops
will again smile jaggedly
     a tough guy
in a rough neighbourhood
with a tooth knocked out.

There was The Bagel Nosh
Shawarma Shop
bulk cheese outlet,
Kebab-Stop
Iron Wok
Hawaiian Pizza. 
All-you-can-eat,
until they were eaten out
or driven by
on the way to KFC.

The asphalt is heaving, crumbling
faded black.
In summer, it bakes,
turning off the main road
over the sidewalk
onto the lot.
The whole earth
paved over.

In winter, there’s nowhere for snow,
ploughed into mountains of dirty white
honeycombed ice,
adorned with crumpled wrappers
discarded cups.
Soggy butts,
still blushing
with cherry lipstick.

Once a month
I am transformed
into a well-groomed man.
I sit in the red pneumatic chair
and look at myself
reflecting back and forth,
shrinking, receding
all the way out
to the vanishing point.
Where I disappear,
too small
for human eyes to resolve,
for the physics
of light, and mirrors.

A small strip mall,
that could be bulldozed
and no one would notice.
But there, for a moment
that mirrored wall
was the smooth silvered surface
of a reflecting pool
opening up to the infinite,
and I peered in at myself
falling
into a bottomless black hole.
Imagine
contained in this shabby shop
a portal out to the universe.

Which quickly closed,
returning me to earth
in time for lunch,
well-trimmed
neatly parted. 
Next time, perhaps
I’ll take the plunge.

No comments: