Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Dinner Rush
Nov 15 2011


The sound of wine
as I pour,
my eyes
do not leave yours.
The deep red liquid
sloshes up,
'til the rising pitch of glug-glug-glug
hits the perfect note.
Both half full.

The place overflows,
the white noise of voices
tapping forks.
The anonymity of crowds,
at which we mouth our disapproval
yet still seek out.
So we can speak
freely here.

A middling wine,
given time to breathe
open up
smooth out the roughness.
Half-empty glass.

The clatter of dishes
convivial whispers
a boisterous laugh.
An earnest waiter
reciting specials,
a platter crashed.
And a tipsy old man
navigates tables,
like a listing vessel
that’s leaking fast.
As instrumental jazz
spools from the speakers,
a chair scrapes back.

I say I’ll have
the same as you,
a gesture of trust
a nod to deference.
Which you promptly over-rule
as unadventurous.
And now
your food untouched
I default to topping up my glass.
You pass,
the back of your hand
cupped demurely.

We could be an old married couple
still in love,
who can sit in perfect silence
together.
Or we could be far too young
to have nothing left to say;
or to have said
something regretted.
Here, in the ideal setting
for awkward pauses
grinding stops.
A brooding silence
where there’s too much room for thought.

Immersed
in this pleasant babble
of flushed patrons
and harried waiters
is like a warm innocuous bath,
in which I’d gladly vanish.
I feel as if I’m underwater,
straining for breath
hearing my heart in my head.

Yet dry
barely able to swallow.
A horrible thirst
no wine can quench.


This started with the idea of filling a wine glass by sound:  the rising pitch of glug-glug-glugs. Which immediately became pouring for two. This sound motif became the ambient sound of a restaurant; and the narrative drive the usual romantic complications.

I like the use of countervailing images, such as noise & silence, empty & full, wet & dry. The wine breathes. The man gasps for air.

No comments: