Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Island
Oct 31 2011


I am reading
in my accustomed chair
in a warm pool of light.
Late afternoon
in early fall
when night sneaks-up.

Surprised, to find myself
in cool dusk,
an incandescent cone
peering out.
Edges blur
objects merge,
the room
turns coarse-grained, porous.

I am marooned
on this agreeable island
of tightly circumscribed light,
cocooned
concentrated
sharp.
If I move
the illusion will break,
words
become incomprehensible.

When I return to the page
letters drift
into twilight air,
settle down
in random mounds
of alphabet.
Careful, stepping over them
I venture out,
leave the protected shore
navigate darkness
feel my way to the door.

And in a sudden flood of light
my private Atlantis
is no more.


This is a very agreeable state, indeed:  in my hermetic rarefied bubble, undistracted, sharply focused. I resent intrusion. But like most magical spells, it can be broken; and once broken, hard to revive.

Day can disappear, while I am oblivious to the passage of time. There is this feeling that if I disturb this pool of light, this tightly circumscribed cone, there will be no return.

But once I’ve noticed, it may be too late, and I start feeling impatient. The darkness seems decadent, degenerate, or even threatening. My bubble is lost.

No comments: