Saturday, November 5, 2011

A Room of My Own
Nov 2 2011


I began by knocking down walls.
As if light
could purify the building
let me see clear.
Every direction
out.

What goes on in a house
behind closed doors,
the ghosts of owners past
the taint
of unhappiness.
A warren of small dark rooms
and narrow hallways
heavy with stale air.
I imagined dead rodents
the urine of cats.

I would not go so far as to raise the roof,
yet never feel confined
in this ample space
this cozy room.
Glass, floor-to-ceiling
kept fastidiously clean,
so I can barely distinguish
in from out.
Life in a tree-house,
all green and dappled light
the palette of seasons.

Birdsong, at sunrise.
But in the still of night
inhuman sounds
under cover of dark.
An owl, perhaps;
but I picture something fierce and black
stalking
through shifting shadows.

Hard woods, flat finish,
soft salmon
sanded brick.
One grand room
open concept, simple plan,
a single man’s
modest castle.
Because when I was a kid
my bedroom was shared,
wedged up against the roof
in a small thin-walled duplex.
Cookie-cutter homes
that welcomed soldiers
back from war.
Because we all need a room of our own,
and get there, eventually.

Looking out, content in my aerie
of soaring glass
expansive vistas.
And free to look in,
no slouching beast
no hidden secrets.
But in the dead of night
inquisitive eyes
can see clear through.
Will I drop the blinds, kill the lights,
vanish
into blackness?

It’s surprising how windows conceal
as much as they give,
reflect, as well as transmit.
According to your own
inclination,
the angle
sunlight falls.

A building, a house, a home.
It all depends
on seeing through walls.

No comments: