Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Urgency of Sunlight
Sept 6 2011


The firewood is in.
Soon, leaves will need raking,
the flimsy stuff of summer
stowing away.
Hunkered down
for snow.

The serene melancholy
of fall
is all the sweeter
in these quickly diminishing days;
the urgency of sunlight
the snap of frost at night.
I watch
the height of the sun as it drops
day-by-day,
its path
drift rapidly south.
The house falls into shadow
grass barely grows.

I feel the urge to pause
take time out.
But the shortening of day
is a cautionary tale 
be prudent, prepare.
So I will not be seduced
by Indian summer,
the deceptive warmth
of clear September skies.

Rabbits turn white
geese flock south.
Black bears fatten
on sour apples
that fall, and we let lie.
While I crave sweets and starch,
the heavy food of winter
that’s been of little interest
the last few months.

There is a quality to the light
I find hard to describe.
A clarity, an age, a distance,
its spectrum slightly shifted
to the warmer tones.
Like scattered leaves
the setting sun
the fading lawn.
The shifting pattern, of back-lit shadows
that play out
at dusk, and dawn.

But words are inadequate
and time will soon be gone.
There are leaves that need gathering
seasoned birch to split.
So I exchange my pen
for a sturdy rake
a heavy wedge-shaped maul.
Its smooth dark handle
used long, and well.


I resist these descriptive, seasonal, nature-inspired lyric poems. But every once in awhile, my will-power wanes. This poem began with my observations of how dramatically the days are shortening. Day length graphs as a sine wave, and it's clear we're on the steep downward limb. The title is one of the lines I like best, and quite suitably re-states this beginning.

Otherwise, the poem is kind of a grasshopper and ant parable; a cautionary tale.

No comments: