Sunday, September 4, 2011

Acts of God
Sept 1 2011


All that’s left of the world
is this hot-house interior
in the green dashboard glow.

The fog
enclosing me,
windows misting over,
as I ascend
through cooler layers of air.

My high-beams are useless,
thick absorbent gauze
soaking up the light,
turning fog
an impenetrable wall of white.
So slow
I can hear the gravel crunch
heater’s steady hum
hypnotic thump
of wipers.
I could just as well be airborne
on another planet,
out of space, and time.

The miasma thins
a I climb from the hollows,
gathers close
as I dip back down.
Relief, dangled just out of reach
abruptly snatched away.
My breathing, tense     
stiff shoulders, neck,
death-grip on the wheel.

This takes stupendous concentration
on a winding road
with soft shoulders
a solid wall of trees.
An eternity, it seems,
arriving late, but blameless.
An act of God, or Nature
as you will.

I should have stopped
walked blindly into the woods,
stumbling, circling, feeling my way
arms out-stretched.
I should have found a fallen tree
on which to sit, and wait,
in the eerie stillness
the cool mist.
A servant of God, observer of Nature,
whichever you wish.

Until, in the fullness of time, the fog lifts
and I am freed
to continue on,
with the click of ignition, engine roaring to life
the harsh invasive light.
Monastic silence
broken,
sanctuary defiled.
Ending my brief respite from time.

Which carried on
without me.
So I make haste.
And in the wash of my wake
my fog-bound state
is forgotten just as fast;
the thinning wisps of a dream
when you’re jolted back.
Lost
in the exultation of speed.


I originally wanted to call this In The Fullness of Time; but realized I’d already used that title. (Not that I haven’t repeated before; just that it’s something I’d rather avoid.) The expression is intended to counsel patience. But what I like about it is the implication of attentiveness, engagement, mindfulness:  that is, of using time fully; of being fully present. …And this is, after all, another poem about the malleability of time.

On the other hand, Acts of God is, I think, a very effective attention-grabber – an important function for a title. And in that it refers to an attitude of fatalism, isn’t far off the mark. Because this is another poem about surrender:  to nature, to fatalism, to contingency. …Or to God; if that’s how you’re inclined to see things.

Everything about this poem was hard to write. So if it seems easy, it wasn't. Although I'll be extremely pleased to hear that. Because that's exactly my job:  to make the end result seem effortless, natural, artless.

 

No comments: