Wednesday, September 28, 2011















Enduring Object
Sept 27 2011


My favourite mug
is grey-blue glazed,
a shade I find tasteful, calming.
A heavy vessel
made from proletarian clay,
its thick blunt rim
sits gently on my lips.
Not fine bone china
that digs in
chips easily
totters on a matching saucer,
tinkling
like tea-time, and finger sandwiches.

A substantial handle
that accepts my fist
with a firm reassuring grip.
Like shaking hands
with a real man,
not a politician’s wet fish.
The generous cup
will hold enough
to keep the coffee hot,
topping it off
with strong black java
steaming up.

My favourite mug
does not say
“World’s Greatest” anything.
Should I spot it
on the lawn
at an early morning garage sale,
I’d forgo the thrill of the hunt
pony-up full price.

It would not do
in a crockery fight
between warring spouses.
Would not shatter against the wall
in a grand denouement,
but instead
would dent the sheetrock
fall to the floor
with an anti-climactic thud.
And we would both watch it
roll to a stop,
half hoping
it would have broken,
relieved
it did not.
An enduring object
you can depend upon.

And when she leaves
early next morning
my favourite mug will keep me warm,
steady
my trembling hands.

No comments: