Tuesday, September 20, 2011

In My Mind’s Eye
Sept 19 2011


I did not need to be told
that seeing is believing.
Even the blind
feel their way through the world
according to surfaces.

But to see
you must believe as well.
That the mirage will dematerialize
revealing truth.
That the outermost layer
of molecules
carries all the way through.
That we are all tuned
to the very same light;
reality
is absolute.

When I first saw your body
in the 40 watt glow
on that sweltering night,
your nakedness slowly revealed
the desire in your eyes,
I felt sure.
Looked away, looked back.
Breathed you in
saw with my hands,
sun-warmed skin
the salty wetness.
Then began with your lips
our moistened tongues,
eyes, drifting shut.

Now, 20 years later
I see you exactly the same.
Laid bare, beside me;
in my mind’s eye.
Could reproduce
every curve of your body
all the secret parts,
off by heart.
I feel no older,
and believe
as surely as I did
2 decades before.

We have explored
so far below the surface
it’s as if a thousand bolts of light
had turned us transparent
left
temporarily blind.
Yet not even caring,
because we’d seen all we needed,
gone deep inside.

No comments: