Thursday, April 25, 2024

The Age of Noise - April 23 2024

 

The Age of Noise

April 23 2024


Krakatoa

was the loudest sound on earth

we know of.

When the crust cracked open

the planet shook,

and the end of the world

seemed to have come.


Perhaps

in the distant past

the noise was even louder;

in the age of volcanoes

when earth was at its hottest.

Krakatoa

a thousand times over.


While now

in this age of noise

it feels just as unbearable;

ash raining down,

gases exploding,

volcanic thunderstorms.


Especially noise

we can’t control.

The thump of a stereo.

Loud footsteps overhead.

Screens right and left,

where talking heads

shout across a table,

and breaking news

and ads for beer

are both turned up to max.

The machines

that constantly throb, buzz, clatter,

the grinding gears,

honking horns,

endless pointless blather.


So when I found this peaceful refuge

I felt sublimely relieved;

the quiet

I’ve been seeking all my life.


Who knew, there is no such thing.


Not when the sounds of my body

seem so much louder in the silence.

Not when I’m kept on edge

from breath to breath

and between each beat of my heart;

the thin thread

that’s one more second of life.


No absolute silence

when there’s no escaping

the noises in my head.

When even the dead

speak to me,

and that inner voice

refuses to be stilled.


When the white noise

I could always tune out

comes through loud and clear,

and even the song I love

gets stuck in a loop

I’m unable to unhear.


Krakatoa resounded

for over 3,000 miles

and the whole world heard.

While these sounds from inside

are mine alone,

yet louder, somehow.

All the worse

because I don’t know how to silence them

have nowhere to escape.


In this age of noise

it’s volcanoes erupting

one after the other

blacking out the sky.


Considering how much noise we inflict on the planet (as well as on ourselves!), it's nice to know that nature still has the better of us. Even at our loudest: techno, jackhammers, jet engines, hydrogen bombs.

From the April 22 & 29, 2024 New Yorker:  What Is Noise?

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2024/04/22/what-is-noise

No comments: