Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Cummerbund - March 30 2022

 

Cummerbund

March 30 2022


I've never worn a tuxedo.


My lifestyle, it seems

is not suited to formal wear

black tie events

debutante balls.

I am not destined, it's becoming clear

for a Nobel or Oscar,

and even a lifetime achievement award

is beyond hope.


I'm more sweat pants and T-shirts

and comfortable sneakers.


So for the big event

I rented one.

Which felt like wearing the bowling shoes

the attendant passed over the counter

laced with disinfectant;

used shoes

but good as new

he amiably reassured me.


It came with cuff links

stud buttons 

cummerbund,

complex paraphernalia

that made me consider the mysteries

of women's lingerie.

Is this what “accessorize” means?


Stiff leather shoes

completed the ensemble.

Unfortunately, they had slippery soles

an embarrassing squeak

hurt my feet.


Basic black

with a trim cut

and traditional tails.

I ignored

the  whiff of mothballs and sweat,

learned to sit carefully

made sure not to spill.


But the clothes make the man,

and it's remarkable

how a person can be transformed

from the outside in.


And after my formal night out

was finally over

the suit was returned

promptly next morning.


My Cinderella moment;

and how surprised I was

to have actually enjoyed it.


Inspired by this piece from the New Yorker's Calvin Trillin.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/03/28/getting-accustomed-to-my-second-tuxedo


No comments: