Saturday, March 5, 2022

A Man in a Hurry - Mar 4 2022

 

A Man in a Hurry

March 4 2022


I pretended not to notice

when he held out a hand

and asked for change.


So many panhandlers these days

I no longer pay attention.

I fear I've grown inured

to suffering,

have learned

to deflect the blame.


It's the system, I say, not me;

capitalism

globalism

those venal politicians.

Drink, drugs

his own bad decisions.


And I admit

to resenting the imposition;

that I should be made to feel

guilt for my privilege,

shame

for my unbecoming stinginess.


But what about contingency, luck

the accident of birth?

Because there

but for the grace of God,

a single misstep,

events beyond our reckoning.


In my defence, I was in a hurry.

And anyway, who knows how he'll spend it?

And even then, if I'm generous with him

what about the next guy?


They say the better off, the less empathetic.

The Mercedes that cut you off;

the poor man

who gave his last penny.

So what about me,

neither rich or poor

cursed or blessed?


I read today

that the tent city has been cleaned up

its people dispersed.

The corner where the panhandlers fought

for prime real estate

is now unobstructed.

Who knows where they've gone

or how they got there.


But how nice

not to be made uncomfortable.

How nice

not to feel his gaze

have to look away

pick up my pace.


A man in a hurry

to get things done.


No comments: