Sunday, September 12, 2021

Push Me - Sept 10 2021

 

Push Me

Sept 10 2021


Gripping the chains

legs straight

leaning all the way back

I felt giddy with weightlessness.


For a thrilling second

suspended at the top of the arc

I was an astronaut

beyond the pull of earth.


Then plunging

body hunched and legs clenched

I cut the air

falling faster and faster,

the landing pit looming

with its scuffed bare dirt.


Up and down

on the playground swings.

Kids

who can do this incessantly;

even the timid ones

but especially the daring.

Who goose it higher,

release their grip,

extend their bodies as if possessed,

flicking open like switch-blades

every muscle tensed.


Push me, the toddler insists

to the weekend dad.

His uncertain hands

against the child's back

give a gentle nudge.

Such a precious moment of touch,

and he too feels as high

as the first man in space

tethered to the mothership.


I don't have kids. I'm not divorced. I was never married. So who knows where this poem came from, and why to me. I think I may have read something evocative that referred to a swing, and thought it would be fun to riff on it. But the weekend dad? Is it just a cliche that I fell into because I lack imagination? But even if it is, I like how this came out. And after all, my poems are not autobiography. I'm far more an observer than a sharer.

No comments: