Saturday, July 17, 2021

Spoiled By Rain - July 17 2021

 

Spoiled By Rain

July 17 2021


Mid-July.

Our precious 2 weeks

of high summer

and they're calling for sunny and hot.


But the day feels ominous

instead of inviting.

The lake is dull, not sparkling

in the limpid summer light

we've taken for granted all along.

The air is sharp

with the smell of burning wood,

and I imagine black choking smoke

pouring from smouldering bush.

And an unbroken haze

whitish-grey

obscures the high blue sky.


I feel suspended

between easy leisure

and Armageddon,

as if the gods were indifferent

and a dire reckoning

was dangling over our heads.


I recently wrote a friend

about how long I have evangelized

for the cause of mother earth.

And how demoralized I feel,

how powerless and drained.


But now I realize

that while our civilization may crumble

the planet will survive,

if less diverse

and far more worse for wear.

That life has persisted

over asteroids and Millennia

and will by all rights muddle through.


The trees are dry

the ground is full of tinder,

while the burning forest closes in

the air greys and thickens.

Some would pray for rain;

but I am only capable

of faith in enlightenment

and the faintest hope, at best.

Which is more than you'd expect

from a confirmed pessimist like me.

As if a summer storm

will wash away our transgressions

and give us a fresh start.

As if it will pour down hard

and the lightning spare us.


A beautiful summer day

spoiled by rain.

Or, in this time of extremis

saved by it.


I stepped out onto the deck today, and it felt as if I had been transported to an alien planet. There was a feeling of threat, of something impending. Reading the daily news didn't help!

I'm reluctant to write poems that are more about advocacy and public policy than the small and personal. I'd prefer to leave the rabble rousing and argument to essays and articles. On the other hand, this is a very personal poem, and arises out of heartfelt feeling. The fact that I returned inside and immediately and sat down to write it says as much.

No comments: