Sunday, July 4, 2021

Grateful for Heat - July 2 2021

 

Grateful for Heat

July 2 2021


The dogs are sprawled on the deck

as if their bones had suddenly softened

and they'd dropped where they stood.


By now, the old one

who worships the sun

has bleached a rich tawny shade,

her thick brown fur

which always drew compliments

even more beautiful.


She has lost weight,

and for once

seems grateful for heat,

lying on one side

eyes firmly shut.

A wet pink tongue

lolls from her mouth

as she pants on and off.

The big barrel chest

which is showing its ribs

is rising and falling

too quickly, it seems.

And the left back leg

has a spastic twitch

as she restlessly sleeps,

in what may very well be

her last season with us.


She eats slowly now,

a leisurely gourmet

instead of greedy gourmand.

No longer chases balls

dashes up stairs

or eagerly licks me awake

at some ungodly hour.

But when it's time for a walk, she's game,

slower

than the pup she once was

but just as keen.


There will be no heroic measures

when the time eventually comes.

I envy her end,

surrounded by love

and unaware

that she will never wake up

from this ultimate rest.

How easily death comes

to the innocent and pure;

man's best friend

who lives in the now

and never bothers herself

with the weight of the past

or existential angst.


She has taught me much,

but how to die gracefully

without guilt or depression

fear or regret

is sadly something

I know I can't emulate.


They say all dogs go to heaven

are especially blessed,

living forever

in some canine afterlife.

So perhaps death is not the final measure

as I've always believed.


Or perhaps it's that a dog never departs.

Because as long as their people

keep their memory alive

a good dog

   —   and even the not so good  —

remains immortal

down here on earth.


My chocolate Lab Skookum will turn 12 in August. Last summer, she had a severe case of pancreatitis and came close to death. Ever since, I've been acutely aware that her clock is ticking.

Last night she was limping, reluctant to weight-bear on one back leg. She had a persistent chesty cough, was trembling, and for a very self-contained dog seemed unusually needy. It seemed serious, and I wondered if this was the beginning of the end. But dogs – like children – crash quickly and recover just as fast. So today, she was back to her usual self.

Later in the day, I sat down in the mood to write but with nothing in mind, and this is what came to me. I try not to write dog poems, because if I let myself, I suspect they all might be! But I figure it's been long enough and by now I'm entitled.

It begins with a familiar image that has nothing to do with illness, but everything to do with what I've seen looking out at my girls in this oppressively hot weather: two sleeping dogs sprawled out on the deck as if they were boneless. And I just had to throw in that 2nd last line. Because although Skookum is a sweety-pie and has a good heart, she can also be a very bad dog!

I realize that the poem is probably on the schmaltzy side for my taste. But when it comes to our dogs, I think we all tend to be a little precious.


No comments: