Thursday, December 17, 2020

The First Full Length - Dec 14 2020


The First Full Length

Dec 14 2020


I do the first full length submerged.


Before my goggles have fogged over,

so the regular parallel rows

of small blue tiles

are in perfect focus

as they steadily unscroll

beneath my clear-eyed gaze,

looking down

from effortless height

as if in flight

through thin transparent air.

Measuring out my breath

as a frugal string of bubbles

rises overhead.


That first quick plunge

into the cool water

feels cathartic,

all the angular sounds

reflecting from the hard glazed deck

and bare concrete walls

are mercifully muffled,

my protesting body

unburdened of its weight.


I push off

with a sleek sensation of speed,

reach ahead with my arms

feel my back extend.

The movement of water

against smooth naked skin,

the well-protected space

of my own fenced-off lane.


All it takes

is a single length

and I instantly shed the world,

taking improbable flight

in this safe pelagic domain.


No comments: