Tuesday, July 21, 2020


Suburban Man
July 21 2020


The machine doesn't cut, trim, clip
slash, hack, cleave,
or even clear.
It mows
down, through, over.

An exercise of force
that subdues the lawn
and renders it compliant.

Ruler straight lines.
A dead even height.
The contrasting greens
between overgrown
and perfectly ordered.

Even the potent sound
that obliterates all else
has a comforting consistency
   . . . the hell with the neighbours.
And the smell of exhaust
mixed with fresh cut grass
has a pleasurable whiff of nostalgia.

How sweet
to see the dandelions fall,
cut down
in yellow sun-kissed splendor,
before they soon transform
into leggy stems
with ghostly halos
of malignant seed. 

How even a powerless man
at the end of a futile week
of pushing paper and taking orders
is able to exert control,
mowing even swathes
of manicured lawn
in a precise pattern
up-and-down the yard.

Suburban man,
in button-down shirt
and matching pleated khakis.
Breaking the Sunday morning calm
in a symbolic act
of passive defiance.



As for me, I'm most likely dressed in old shorts and a torn T-shirt. I'm never up so early (definitely not a morning person!), was never a mindless office drone, and am retired, so no one orders me around. And my machine is electric and I'm far out in the country, where no one else can hear. So mowing the lawn is not at all a passive-aggressive act born of frustration.

Still, I have to admit to enjoying those even rows and a bourgeois sense of accomplishment. Not to mention the sober understanding that I have, at least temporarily, civilized nature on my appointed plot of land. Which, if left on its own, would quickly overgrow, and eventually evict us.

This is the note that accompanied this poem when it was initially sent to my first readers:

Something new. Once again, first draft. This one came so easily (pretty much flowed out of the pen, as you see it here) I have to wonder where it came from. Apparently, some deep unplumbed well of frustration! 
I do know that I've been procrastinating on my lawn cutting  (or at least the weed bed I call a lawn), so this is likely part of where it came from. 
And there is, admittedly, the fact that cutting the grass can be very satisfying:  a simple contained task with a hard, measurable, and very apparent outcome. 

No comments: